Thursday, September 26, 2013

      My week is over and I am about to dash out of the office. This week was not as interesting. Tuesday I worked in Overland Park and was able to get a high risk guy on the downlow in to be tested with my craigslist post. That was a nice. The rest of the week I have been on campus. I forgot how much I hate KU. Being on campus I wasn't able to do much trolling on craigslist, which is a little disappointing.
     I guess I can share a fond memory, and my motivation for trolling craigslist. A few months after I started working in Overland Park I began dabbling in craigslist outreach to get people to come in and get tested. With no real instruction, other than my boss telling me she used craigslist to get people to come in, I began posting.
      As I have mentioned before "Bareback" or "BB" is the word for unprotected anal sex among men who have sex with men, and it is one of the highest risk behaviors for HIV transmission. So, knowing this, I posted an add on craigslist that said "Bareback Now". Once they clicked on it the add said that if you are barebacking off craigslist you are putting yourself at risk for HIV and should get tested. Then I put our agency information. Then he came in.
     A middle-age white Johnson County man came in to the testing room crying. Not a little sniffing, but full-blown Old Yeller bawling. He was married with kids and had been meeting men off craigslist. He told me he saw my add and knew he was putting himself, and his wife, at risk. I tested and counseled him then told him to wait in the other room. It was a busy night and it took a little longer than 15 minutes for me to give him his results. Negative.
      That experience felt really good. Casting my bait out onto the interwebs then reeling this guy in was very satisfying. I felt like I had actually accomplished something and made a difference. When I get no responses from my adds or someone flags my post for removal, I just think back to the bawling man shaking my hand.
     I have not seen any outstanding dick pics this week, but I have seen a lot of strange stuff worth mentioning. Poppers are all of a sudden popular in KC. Tactfully looking for scat play is a skill. And if people could stop posting their rape fantasies on craigslist that would be great. This was a Boromir week.

No comments:

Post a Comment